Tag: Slic3r

3D Printing Questions – Custom Ending G Code in Slic3r, Simplify3D & Cura Slicers

The previous video was supposed to cover both Starting and Ending G Code but it was getting a bit long, so I decided to cover the Ending G Code in a separate video – this is that video! In the first video I covered some G Code basics and where to set the starting and ending G Code in Slic3r, Simplify3D and Cura. So if you want those details see the previous video here.

For all your G Code goodness, see the RepRap Wiki page on G Code which lists all the commands.

The video covering my auto shutdown add on can be found here.

3D Printing Questions – Custom Start G Code in Slic3r, Simplify3D & Cura Slicers

I recently received a message from a subscriber who was having issues with their starting G Code and asking if I could send mine to them. I explained that Start G Code is fairly unique to a specific printer and the user’s requirements. So I created a video, linked above, detailing where custom start G Code can be set in Slic3r, Simplify3D & Cura, together with a description of the kind of things to look out for and insert in this start G Code.

I refer to the RepRap Wiki page on G Code, which can be found here. This lists pretty much all the commands you are likely to come across in a G Code file.

I also mention a list of some common placeholder variables that can be inserted in custom G Code – to be replaced during export with settings from your profiles. That list of┬áSlic3r, Simplify3D & Cura common placeholder variables is here. Please note that, apart from Slic3r, support and documentation from the slicers is poor to non-existent.

I will be covering the Custom End G Code in the next video as this first video on the subject was getting long due to having to cover the basics of G Code and the differences in the slicers.

RepRap Prusa i3 MK2 – One Week In, More Prints & Settings

In this video I go through some of the prints I have made in the first week after building the DIY Prusa i3 MK2, and some of the interim conclusions I have drawn from them together with the settings this had led me to change.

Long story short; it is quite hard to diagnose a lot of issues as they could be caused by a number of different things ┬ámanifesting with the same symptoms. It maybe even a combination. I had to single out settings and go wild with them to see what effect they had and then apply that to my baseline. However, apart from filament getting stuck on the spool (my fault) I haven’t had any failures and all the prints have been perfectly fit for the job I needed them for. So really we are only looking at aesthetics.

I also gave Simplify3D a try out…. at this time I don’t really need any of the capabilities it has over Slic3r and found it to exhibit some unwanted artifacts on the prints I tried it out on. It is a little disappointing that they offer no free trial as it isn’t particularly cheap and is very much a piece of software you will either get on with or you wont. You have to first spend your money to find out… You can apparently get a refund though if it doesn’t turn out well. For the time being I am sticking with Slic3r as I get better quality prints and really the only feature I would use right now from S3D is the manual supports.

I have decided to make Octoprint my next upgrade as for the time being the electronics are holding together just fine. So on with that!!!

© 2017 Jules Gilson

 

Additional Artwork Designed by Freepik Additional Artwork Designed by Freepik